I’m happy to report that I think I’ve perfected my oatmeal chocolate chip recipe. This recipe is a modified version of one that I was using previously and it makes great chewy soft cookies with a little bit of added texture from the oatmeal. The key to this recipe is that I use toasted quick cook oats which you can find at Trader Joe’s. These oats are already toasted and really give a great texture in the cookies. When I was at the store buying my ingredients, I just happened to pick the toasted oats instead of the regular oats and it turned out to be a winner. My friends say that they like the texture in my cookies better than other ones and the only thing that I can attribute it to is that the oats are toasted. I guess the toasted oats prevent them from getting moist in the cookie so they stay nice and crisp. These cookies make great gifts too. I made a batch of cookies, placed them in a nice tin with some tissue paper, tied it with a ribbon and voilà! Perfect gift for any cookie lover/monster.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Recipe
- 1 cup margarine or salted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups toasted quick cooking oats
- 12oz. bag of semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream margarine/butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. Mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt; until well blended. Mix in the toasted quick oats and chocolate chips. Drop small heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown in the preheated oven . Cool cookies on wire rack.
Makes about 40-50 small two-bite cookies (which is how I like to make them), but feel free to make them as big as you want.